Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Good-bye, Maman Sibyl

I wanted to toss out a quick "sorry" for all you devoted fans out there...and a bit of a mushy explanation.

I've been a bit more lax in my dedication to Blauging this month than I was last month, but such is the roller coaster nature a resolution.


I've been dealing with some stuff lately, so I've been favoring the off-line journaling, as opposed to baring my soul to the Internets. Thanks to Project Resolution, I've remembered how therapeutic writing can be in times of trouble.


For those of you who don't know, my maternal grandmother, Sibyl Carriere Kidder, died Friday, February 16th, 2007 at about 3:30am at my Mom and Dad's house. She went peacefully, with my mother at her side.

This is Mom, Me, Maman Sibyl, and Dad at my "new" apartment in York in Summer '05. It was the only time she saw any of my apartments, and also the only time that I (and Whitney) cooked for her, instead of the other way around.

We are grateful for the time we had her, a mere 92 and a half years. She and I became close when she moved up here from her home in Louisiana some three years ago. Before then, I was limited to experiencing her in 1- to 2-week bursts of things called "Family Vacations." In the past three years we got to know each other better and that means the world to me, and I know she felt the same way.

I am traveling down to Louisiana Thursday - Sunday for her funeral. We will say our final good-byes Friday, and she will be laid to rest next to her loving late husband of 57 years.

She will be missed dearly by all who knew her. I am a better person for having had her in my life. I love you, Maman.

No comments: